[mythtv-users] Small Front End?

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Tue Nov 21 18:52:15 UTC 2006

>> I'm trying to come up with a "standard" for my in-house front-end
>> systems as I build things out.  I currently have a FE/BE setup
>> mainly as
>> a proof-of-concep and, with great surprise, it passed the 'wife'
>> test. :)
>>

> Wow :-)

heh.. not an easy feat for just any product, and MythTV is more than
just any product. :)

>> o 64-bit based (basically, something that will last and not require
>> constant hardware upgrades!).
>>

> Why 64-bit ? Myth doesn't need it or benefit from it.

No real reason other than the fact that if I had to have a full-blown
Linux system as a front end, I'd rather be buying in to relatively
current technology than technology that is being phased out.  Besides,
it makes it easier to manage if all of the systems in the house are the
same architecture, and it makes it easier, in the long run, for upgrades.

>> The main thing is that you didn't mention if you are trying to do HD
>> or not, which makes a *HUGE* difference in the required hardware.

I guess I did leave that off, didn't I?  We're primarily SD for
television, and HD (well as HD as you can get) for watching DVD's (soon
to be served by MythVideo).

-Rich