[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 19 08:17:28 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 11:39 -0800, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> > Sure, but the difference between the two is several seconds. There is
> > really no reason to buffer THAT much data.
>
> Seriously - 2-3 seconds for MOST users. If you are experiencing more,
> you have an issue that is not related to the MythTV software. That's
> why this discussion never goes anywhere except on and on and on in
> circles.

I have a number of frontends (athlons 1.4 and 2.4, and a 1.2G sony
laptop) and an athlon 3200 frontend/backend dedicated to myth.  Neither
the backend/frontend box or those connecting via the network will change
channel (fusion HDTV) in 2 seconds, usually greater than 10 seconds (I
often get tuning timeouts and a failed to tune dialog dialog in live TV
- works sometimes after a couple of goes.  It does work fine for
recording, its live TV thats the problem for me.  Myth is largely a
white elephant in our household - I am the only user.  Eventually had to
shell out for an analog video recorder to stop the complaints.  Most of
which were about livetv performance, and to a lesser extent the
confusing menus.  Even the far better quality of the recordings wasnt
good enough to sway them :(

Face it, myth is great, but a very long way from perfect ...

For some reason, 0.19 seemed faster than .20 for tuning?

BillK