[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 19 01:55:31 UTC 2006

>On Nov 18, 2006, at 12:17 PM, Marco Nelissen wrote:
>
>>> Seriously - 2-3 seconds for MOST users. If you are experiencing more,
>>> you have an issue that is not related to the MythTV software. That's
>>> why this discussion never goes anywhere except on and on and on in
>>> circles.
>>
>> Why do you keep saying that the issue is not related to the mythtv
>> software, when I've already mentioned several times that other
>> software on the SAME HARDWARE changes channels much faster?
>
>Because we're running the same software and I don't have the issue.

"same software"? Really? Same CVS change #? Same configure-options?
Same plugins? Same settings? Probably not. Even if we did run the exact
same version of mythtv, that still doesn't mean much. Suppose for a
moment that mythtv didn't work properly on kernel 2.6.18. According to
you, that would be by definition a problem of the kernel, not of mythtv.
I say no. If every other app works with kernel 2.6.18, then that would
be a strong indication that the problem is with mythtv, not with that
kernel.
Similarly, since other apps can change channels quickly on this hardware,
that's a strong indication that the problem lies with mythtv.
Now, "strong indication" does not mean it's 100% guaranteed that the
problem lies with mythtv. Maybe there is a bug somewhere else that only
mythtv exposes. But until we know what actually causes this problem,
you can't just say the problem is not in mythtv just because it works
for you. "It works for me!" (also known as "It works on MY machine!" and
in your case "I don't have the issue") is an age-old and stereotypical
response software developers give when bugs in their software are pointed
out. I first heard it probably 20 years ago, and today it's as invalid an
excuse as it was back then.
We have to look at the most likely culprit, and given that other apps can
do what mythtv can't on the same hardware, I think mythtv is the more
likely candidate here.