[mythtv-users] GeForce 5750 GPU ??

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Nov 18 23:49:00 UTC 2006

On Nov 18, 2006, at 4:26 PM, Carl Fongheiser wrote:

> On 11/18/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> Anybody know if the nVidia 5750 GPU would work at least as well as a
> 5200 ?
>
> I've never heard of the 5750. I do have a 5700 AGP card that works
> with Myth, never tried XvMC with it though.
>
> I hate to plug vendors, but the following looks interesting for a PCI-
> Express interface if the GPU is OK, and there was a discussion
> earlier about PCI-e video cards. Cheap but it looks like it does have
> a fan.
>
> My fear is that, based on the price, it's some sort of stripped-down
> GPU that won't work well. It says OpenGL 1.5, not 2.0.
>
> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PX360-TD-128&cat=VCD
>

> There's nothing stripped down about that GPU, at least compared to
> any of the other GeForce FX cards.  It should work fine.  The 5750
> is simply a PCI-E version of the 5700.  BTW, OpenGL 1.5 is the
> level supported by all of the FX series cards.

Well I know the 5700 works well. I was concerned because the blurb
said it was a "PCX 5750 GPU", not an FX. nVidia's site seems to make
a distinction between the FX 5700 and 5900 and the PCX 5950 and 5750,
but it is not clear if they are speaking of the GPU chip itself or
reference card designs.

The nVidia README also claims support only for the FX series, and I
find no reference to "PCX".

So what you are saying is that the GPU is the same, only the
interface is different, and that the ad's claim to it's being a "PCX"
GPU is mis-leading ? This makes sense as why would they make a whole
new GPU for a PCI-e interface? But you never know.

Jeesh I wish these vendors would get things straight :-)

But for $35 how wrong can one go ? :-)

Anyway, thanks for the info.