[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sat Nov 18 23:35:32 UTC 2006

Marco Nelissen wrote:
> Just to be clear: 17 seconds was my absolute worst case for going to
> live TV. This was right after launching mythtv, and without using
> XvMC. If I use XvMC it's much better, and if I've already gone to
> live TV once, it's even better.

Hmm.  "It's faster after I've been there once before" is a classic
symptom of swapping.  I bet it's faster the second time because the live
TV parts of the app are already in RAM, instead of having to be swapped in.

How much RAM do you have in your system?  Memory requirements got
significantly larger with 0.20, for reasons no one seems to be able to
pin down.  That may be why some people are seeing more delays than they
did with 0.19.