[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Remco Treffkorn remco at rvt.com
Sat Nov 18 22:50:58 UTC 2006

On Saturday 18 November 2006 13:54, Remco Treffkorn wrote:

> > >So does my MythTV system, and it does it over the network. When I change
> > >the channel, it pauses for under 2 seconds and then starts playing the
> > >new channel. The developers have done a great job of balancing channel
> > >changing, recording and network distribution.
> >
> > You're lucky then. I have to wait anywhere from 6 to 17 seconds to go to
> > live TV, and channel changing is about 6 seconds on a good day. Other
> > people on this list have reported similar delays, while some (like you)
> > report much better times. So far, nobody has been able to figure out
> > why it's so slow for some people, yet relatively fast for others.
>
> You have to compare apples with apples.
>
> If the be/fe are on the same machine I would expect the 'time to start
> playing' to be shorter than in a networked scenario.
>
> On my remote fe it takes close to 3 seconds to start live TV.
>
> Strange thing is, I remember it being slower...
> I just looked, Tuner 1 is recording, and Tuner 2 seems faster than Tuner 1.
> That's interesting. I will wait for the recording to end and try again.

Yup, it is slower on Tuner 1.

Here my setup:

Tuner 1: pvr 150. connected to DirecTV. IR blaster channel changer.
Tuner 2: generic bttv connected to DirecTV. Serial channel changer.

Tuner 1 takes up to twice the time to start showing live tv.
Channel changing also much slower.

I'll play with the IR channel change script now...

--
Remco Treffkorn (RT445)
HAM DC2XT