[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Remco Treffkorn remco at rvt.com
Sat Nov 18 21:54:28 UTC 2006

On Friday 17 November 2006 20:37, Marco Nelissen wrote:
> >> I want to record my programs (or at least buffer my live TV), AND have
> >> channel changes be fast. Impossible? No. Tivo does it.
> >
> >So does my MythTV system, and it does it over the network. When I change
> >the channel, it pauses for under 2 seconds and then starts playing the
> >new channel. The developers have done a great job of balancing channel
> >changing, recording and network distribution.
>
> You're lucky then. I have to wait anywhere from 6 to 17 seconds to go to
> live TV, and channel changing is about 6 seconds on a good day. Other
> people on this list have reported similar delays, while some (like you)
> report much better times. So far, nobody has been able to figure out
> why it's so slow for some people, yet relatively fast for others.

You have to compare apples with apples.

If the be/fe are on the same machine I would expect the 'time to start
playing' to be shorter than in a networked scenario.

On my remote fe it takes close to 3 seconds to start live TV.

Strange thing is, I remember it being slower...
I just looked, Tuner 1 is recording, and Tuner 2 seems faster than Tuner 1.
That's interesting. I will wait for the recording to end and try again.

--
Remco Treffkorn (RT445)
HAM DC2XT