[mythtv-users] Hardware choices

GyroTech gyrotech at freakinabox.com
Sat Nov 18 21:06:18 UTC 2006

Well, I've been tinkering about with stand-alone implementations of
MythTV for a while and I have decided it's time for an investment of sorts.

I'm looking to rebuild my file server, and with it create a powerful
backend for MythTV. I am interested in what people think of my choices,
any advice from people who have used same\similar components (inc.
software) etc... This will all be to receive UK Freeview (DVB-T) as well
as playback DVD backups etc...

Thanks!!

Server:

Debian\Ubuntu
Tyan Tiger K8WE (http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tigerk8we.html)
Opteron 248 (x2)
1GB DDR400 (x4 - 2 per CPU)
Highpoint RocketRAID 2320 (http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/rr2320.htm)
Samsung T133 400GB SATA S300 (x8)
Hauppage Nova-T 500 (x2) ()
CoolerMaster Stacker 810
(http://www.coolermaster-europe.com/index.php?LT=uk&Language_s=15&url_place=product&p_serial=RC-810&other_title=RC-810CMStacker%20810)

Front end: (x2)

MiniMyth (http://linpvr.org/)
VIA EPIA MII 12000
(http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/mini_itx/epia_m2/index.jsp)
512MB RAM
Panasonic slot-loading DVD drive
Serener GA-L01 (http://www.serener.com/pro.html)

I have heard that the Nova-T 500 has some issues as well as being a
pretend PCI card... If anyone has any better suggestions on dual DVB-T
tuners on a single PCI card then please, do tell :-D

The server is going to be a file server as well, as I said, but I also
want ti to be able to cope with all the transcoding needed. It'll also
store as a repo for all my DVD collection, as well as general file
backup storage.

Sorry for being such a long email, but I would really like info on all
of this before I start forking over money ;-)

Thanks for all in advance.

GyroTech