[mythtv-users] Hardware choices

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 02:00:57 UTC 2006

On 11/18/06, GyroTech <gyrotech at freakinabox.com> wrote:

> Well, I've been tinkering about with stand-alone implementations of
> MythTV for a while and I have decided it's time for an investment of
> sorts.
>
> I'm looking to rebuild my file server, and with it create a powerful
> backend for MythTV. I am interested in what people think of my choices,
> any advice from people who have used same\similar components (inc.
> software) etc... This will all be to receive UK Freeview (DVB-T) as well
> as playback DVD backups etc...
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Server:
>
> Debian\Ubuntu
> Tyan Tiger K8WE (http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tigerk8we.html)
> Opteron 248 (x2)
> 1GB DDR400 (x4 - 2 per CPU)
> Highpoint RocketRAID 2320 (http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/rr2320.htm)
> Samsung T133 400GB SATA S300 (x8)
> Hauppage Nova-T 500 (x2) ()
> CoolerMaster Stacker 810
> (
> http://www.coolermaster-europe.com/index.php?LT=uk&Language_s=15&url_place=product&p_serial=RC-810&other_title=RC-810CMStacker%20810
> )

Looks good to me. I would check ebay for the processors and memory. I have a
similar system that I made about 6 months ago without the raid (I have only
2 320 GB Seagate 7200.10 and a 400 GB 7200.9 in a second mythbox)...

I am running dual processor Opteron 850s with 4 GB of Samsung REG PC3200 ECC
on an TYAN 2885 mobo. I got the 2 cpus for $325US total and the memory for
$75US/ 1GB dimm. I have a hauppage pvr 500 that I got at newegg.

John