[mythtv-users] Mythfilldatabase keeps deleting channels

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 19:44:10 UTC 2006

On 11/17/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 11/16/2006 01:13 PM, Mercury Morris wrote:
> > Even though the three channels are in the channel table in mythconverg,
> > mythfilldatabase keeps deleting them.
> >

> For digital sources, since there's typically additional (manual)
> configuration required or channels may be encrypted, mythfilldatabase
> does /not/ automatically add the channels.  You have to force it to do
> so with "--do-channel-updates".
>
> > What does mythfilldatabase use to decide if a channel is a "new" channel?
> > Is it "callsign", is it "name", or something else?
> >

> xmltvid, but that's irrelevant to this issue
>
> > If you have any idea what criteria mythfilldatabase uses to decide
> > when it deletes
> > a channel, please post.
>
> digital: always deletes unless you say, "Trust me, mythfilldatabase, I'm
> the user; I know what I'm doing."  (i.e. "--do-channel-updates").
>
> analog: only deletes if you specify the command-line argument
> "--remove-new-channels" (which is great for cable/satellite users whose
> subscriptions don't change--i.e. even though DISH added a new local
> channel from North Nowhere, Montana and TMS automatically adds it to all
> DISH lineups, Myth knows not to use it (unless you run mfdb again
> without "--remove-new-channels")

Thanks, Mike, for taking the time to answer.

In the interval between my post and your reply, I have decided to try
to install an earlier revision of MythTV.  More problems, in addition to
the deleting of channels, have made it very desirable to go back to a
revision running on another system.  This other system does not exhibit
any of the several problems, hence the motivation to move to that revision.

--
MM