[mythtv-users] Suggestions for HDTV system

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 15:39:14 UTC 2006

On 11/9/06, Jan Vilhuber <jan at vilhuber.com> wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2006, at 4:47 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > On 11/09/2006 07:35 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:
> >> From what I read, you don't need to go with the newer boards that
> >> may be
> >> more expensive. A 5200 based board is sufficient for MythTV, if
> >> that's
> >> all you're doing.
> >
> > And the 5200 does have the benefit of using the traditional Xv which
> > allows the use of Xv picture controls (brightness/contrast/color,
> > etc.).  The GF6-series and above don't.
> The only caveat I can offer is that the 5200 card I had couldn't
> drive my HDTV at 1080p, no matter what (and no matter which
> frequency; The TV can do 30MHz, 24 and 60). I had to get a different
> one (a 6100 I think) that could.
>
> Now granted, I have no 1080p content to play now (and I'm using the
> 720P mode for now anyway), but if the TV can do it, I want my card to
> be able to drive it.
>
> As for Xv picture controls: The TV does that stuff :)

I had the same problem, the DVI output on *most* 5200 cards can't
quite handle 1080p output. I went with a PCIe 6200TC (MSI low profile)
and its been working great (though for some reason, if the TV is on
the computer refuses to turn on?...)

As Jan said, if your using a 1080p TV the Xv picture controls aren't a big deal.

I would also say go with something faster than a 3200. I have a 3200
in my frontend, and its good, but I'd like to be able to run the
Kernel deinterlacer on 1080i content which the 3200 just isn't quite
fast enough to do. Plus with h264 being the future of HDTV your going
to want something really fast. I your building this from scratch, go
with a Core 2 Duo processor, if your set on the prepackaged Dell see
what you can upgrade to, or just do a processor upgrade on your own
and ebay the 3200.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!