[mythtv-users] A warning about XFS + LVM + RAID on 2.6.18-1.2200.fc5.

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 03:52:28 UTC 2006

On 11/10/06, Brett Kosinski <fancypantalons at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure if I'm the only one noticing this problem, but running
> 2.6.18-1.2200.fc5 with XFS over LVM over RAID, I'm seeing fairly frequent
> kernel panics if I'm not careful.
>
> Specifically, it appears that if I run Azureus on my Myth backend,
> particularly if I'm pulling down a torrent involving lots of small files, I
> get fairly frequent kernel panics, especially if I'm recording at the same
> time.

I am not sure what the problem is with your system but I can say one thing
about the 50+ Linux boxes I manage (at home and at work) is that it is
extreamly rare to see a kernel panic. I have actually seen that only once in
the 2.5 years that I have been a linux admin with these computers running
24/7/365. I forgot to mention that the kernel panic happened on an 8 year
old p2 system with 64MB of memory and a 4GB to 8GB disk.

Since you are running almost the newest kernel you can get have you tried
downgrading the kernel? Have you ran memtest86 on your machine recently? Is
there anything in the dmesg that is suspicious? Do you have lmsensors
running? Processor overheating? Can you give some details of your hardware?

John