[mythtv-users] Suggestions for HDTV system

Mark Chang mark.chang at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 19:06:06 UTC 2006

I like that silicon dust kit. One thing I'm concerned with is the
networking of the device. I live in a building where the networking
infrastructure is provided (think of it more like an office building).
While it is all GigE, it is a pretty busy network. Also, I do not have
control over my DHCP server. So long as it plays well in this
configuration, and I will give it some consideration, as it is a great
way to get dual tuners. Then, all I need is to get an NTSC card and
we'll be replacing my Tivo.

Thanks for any heads up info.

mark

On 11/9/06, Jafa <hdtv at silicondust.com> wrote:

> > I want to record OTA (ATSC) HDTV. I am looking to buy parts that will
> > make things go the smoothest. I'd also like to be able to expand to
> > record basic NTSC cable in the near future and replace my Tivo
> > completely.
> >
> > Currently on the docket to buy, so please chime in with your thoughts:
> >  * Dell E521 Athlon 64 3200+
> >    nforce chipset with nvidia 6150LE graphics w/DVI
> >
> The nVidia 6150 motherboard graphics chipset works well with XvMC (off
> loads some of the MPEG decoding work to the video card).
> The Athlon 64 3200+ is ok. With XvMC enabled it will playback 1080
> content ok. It probably won't keep up without using XvMC.
>
> >  * Air2PC, pcHDTV, KWorld? Which one???
> > I need help picking a reliable HDTV card. Anyone have some hints?
> am involved with HDHomeRun - it is a dual ATSC (OTA/QAM) tuner for MythTV.
> http://www.silicondust.com/
> >  * Some sort of PCIe x16 video card...
> >
> > I also need help picking a good playback video card. I don't know if
> > the 6150LE onboard will do the job, so I'll budget for something. I am
> > confused about the 5200 and 6200 series nvidia cards versus the newer
> > (7xxx) series cards. Are the newer ones supported in XvMC? Can't even
> > get the 5200 on newegg anymore.
> >
> The onboard 6150 is the way to go as long as your TV has a suitable
> input for a computer connection.
> The 6150 works well with MythTV using XvMC so you can't do any better
> than that.
>
> Nick

Mark L. Chang