[mythtv-users] OT: Why 1080p?

Rob Baumstark rbaumstark at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 17:40:05 UTC 2006

> Since it hasn't been said explicitly yet:
>
> 1080p displays are the only ones that can display both 720p and 1080i
> at their native resolutions.   Granted, I don't know of anyone who
> uses their 1080p set to watch 720p content w/ black bars on 4 sides,
> but it can be done if you don't like upscaling.

And lets explicitly un-say it, since thats a load of crap.  1080p
displays are the ones that have a display with a native resolution of
1920x1080 pixels.

> HD-DVD supports up to 1080i, and Blueray supports up to 1080p.

Another load of crap.  Both HD-DVD and Blue-Ray disks contain content
encoded at 1080p24.

> The order of HD video quality. 480p --> 1080i --> 720p --> 1080p

And more crap.  1080i has the same resolution as 1080p, just at a
lower framerate.  1080i is NOT equal to 540p.  A 1080i timing is
electrically compatible with 540p if you're using powerstrip to make
custom resolutions, but that doesn't take into consideration
horizontal resolution.

480p = 720x480    = 345600 pixels per frame,  @60hz = 20736000
pixels/second = ~20mpixels/sec
720p = 1280x720   = 921600 pixels per frame,  @60hz = 55296000  = ~55mpixels/sec