[mythtv-users] OT: Why 1080p?

Yeasah Pell yeasah at schwide.com
Tue Nov 7 21:48:33 UTC 2006

Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> is 1080 lines at 30 frames per second. Movies are only 24 frames per
> second, so they will always look better in 1080i. Basketball and tennis

To expand on this slightly, it is possible to recover a perfect 1080p24
signal from a telecine 1080i film broadcast (ignoring bad edits and
other encoding issues). Thus you can get a full progressive 1920x1080
24fps out of a telecine 1080i broadcast, which is clearly superior to
the 1280x720 24fps you would ideally get from 720p (assuming of course
that the encoding bitrate is high enough to support the increased
resolution, which is not at all a given.) Unfortunately as I understand
it mythtv's inverse telecine capabilities are currently pretty limited,
but regardless of any player issues 1080i gives a much higher resolution
for telecine film (e.g. movies) content.

-y