[mythtv-users] OT: Why 1080p?

Ed Gatzke ed.gatzke.groups at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 18:48:26 UTC 2006

On 11/7/06, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:

> 1080p is not in the spec for broadcasts.  It was never considered, and
> word is that you'll never see 1080p over regular broadcasts.  The
> highest you will get via broadcast would be 1080i.

I have heard 1080p is in the broadcast spec, but I can't find a link to
support this.  Nobody currently broadcasts 1080p

1080i is technically lesser quality than 720p.

In total bandwidth or info content this is true.  For overall resolution,
this is not true.  The rule I always read is 1080i good for slow moving
stuff, 720p good for fast moving stuff.

> HD-DVD supports up to 1080i, and Blueray supports up to 1080p.
>
> If you use your Myth system for anything else (viewing Blueray DVDs,
> playing games, etc), you will want the best resolution your set can
> offer. :)

Your video card should upscale 720p resolution to 1080p or deinterlace 1080i
to 1080p, so 1080p should be good enought for anyone (for a while at
least).  There are different 1080p formats too, depending on framerate.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television

For framerate conversion, you get into some sticky situations depending on
framerate. Google for pulldown 1080p to get some info. Or read:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p
Actually, that link suggests 1080p versions are in the ATSC and DVB specs,
although I doubt we see them broadcast soon.

However, as you can guess.. a lot of the noise about 1080p is solely
> about numbers ("If my TV can push 1080p, then I am going to display it
> at that rate!" and "1080p is a lot more than 720p!") more so than about
> what is actually being displayed.

And game consoles are coming out with 1080p games.  I think the PS3 is doing
this at least.  I have run HL2 on 2650x1900 (greater than 1080p) and high
resolution is very nice indeed...