[mythtv-users] mysql issues, mythtv-setup no initial questions, pvr-350 works but not for myth

Johan Mellberg infoball at yahoo.se
Tue Nov 7 10:45:59 UTC 2006

Hi,

new mythtv (0.20) user here, running into problems
that stop me from continuing so I'm coming here for
help. Of course I have searched the archives, but
damn, it's a lot of messages :-)

Anyway: I've got a Hauppauge PVR-350, Slackware 11.0
with kernel 2.6.17.13, and (working) ivtv drivers
(0.7.1). I can record all channels by setting the
correct frequency with ivtv-tune and cat:ting
/dev/video0 to a file so the tuner seems to work fine.

Since I use Slackware the instructions aren't
completely applicable but I have installed latest
xmltv, set it up (not completely painless as some of
the CPAN packages refused to install - luckily some
that I did not need) and downloaded channel info
(worked fine).

I have set up mysqld to start as the login user
'mysql', and I have run 'mysql_install_db' as that
user. I then added a password for the mysql root user
(localhost) and tried to add a password for the
root@<myhostname> user too, but even after removing
the '--skip-networking' option and restarting mysqld
this failed with a message saying that the connection
to the database failed.

After that I ran the mc.sql script (also as the mysql
user) and then started 'mythtv-setup', as root this
time. Now, the documentation says that you should be
seeing a few startup questions but I only get one,
about language choice, and then I am faced with the
five "settings areas". I don't see any errors in the
shell window so I can't figure out if anything is
wrong or not...

In addition, when going through the settings for the
tuner card that mythtv doesn't "see" my card. It sees
the Hauppauge PVR-350 but I can't set it up for
viewing (not sitting in front of it right now so
please pardon my horrible explanation created from my
useless memory cells...)

So I have a couple of questions:

Does anyone know how to set up the mysql
root@<myhostname> password, or why I get the message
about lost connection to data base?

Do I need to configure mysql or mythtv further in any
way to allow mythtv proper access to the database? I
don't quite understand how mthtv-setup can access the
database without knowing which mysql user and password
to use.

Should I set up a mysql user named mythtv? Currently
only the root user exists.

Why don't I get the initial questions mentioned in the
documentation from mythtv-setup?

Why can't I set up a working PVR-350 as the tuner to
use? What else do I need to configure besides
compiling the ivtv driver? I'll post a better
explanation of the issue when I get to the box in
question next time. Just hoping that someone might be
psychic ;-)

What must I configure in order to run mythtv as
anything except root? I want to have a separate mythtv
user and I see this mentioned here and there in
documentation but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot
of info collected anywhere. There's a lot though so I
might have missed it :-(

I obviously need to create an init script to start
mythbackend at boot so I thought I'd use Debian's as a
starting point, found here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Debian_init.d_mythbackend.
Any views on that? Useful? Caveats?

Oh, and I have some questions on mythfilldatabase too
but I think the above is enough for now...

Thank you so much for any comments and response at
all!

/Johan