[mythtv-users] Bay Area antenna tuning [was Re: OT - Antenna tuning/aiming]

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Nov 7 04:17:27 UTC 2006

Robert Tsai <mythtv at tsaiberspace.net> says:
> I'm currently using a pair of $19.99 Radio Shack 15-1868 indoor
> antennas:

[...]

> You've got nothing to lose, except for the time it takes to return
> them if they don't satisfy your needs.

True. So I today bought one, installed it, twice went through the
immensely-painful ATSC scanning process [1] . . . and, after some
reorienting, gained KNTVDT (NBC) for the first time in almost a year
of trying!  Lost KBWBDT (independent, formerly The WB), but it's a
tradeoff I'd make any day, and didn't lose either FOX or The CW over
the air. I didn't also get ABC and CBS, alas, but even getting NBC via
antenna is worth $20 plus tax. Very much appreciated.

Now, if someone can help me figure out why I still can't import
channels.conf for ATSC in 0.20, I'll be (closer to being) set!

[1] Still the single most-awkward part of the MythTV setup process, in
my view. Beyond the broken channels.conf import, there's the
mysterious references everywhere to things like "Transport
#38" and "Channel xx timed out -- no ATSC transport," no way to
manually type in the data from a channels.conf in the so-called
"Transport Editor," and no way to let the mythtv-setup scaning process
wait for a person to manually tune an antenna in order to find a
channel in the first place.