[mythtv-users] DVI to HDMI]

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 6 18:19:02 UTC 2006

On 11/05/2006 08:22 PM, Jason wrote:
> The wife and I got a free Hitachi 51' HD TV this weekend
Wow.  I thought my 67" (5' 7") TV was big.  Where do you keep a 51' TV
in the house?  ;)
>  (with the
> purchase of too darn much kitchen furniture) and it has an HDMI
> connector. Sadly, no DVI.
>
> So those of you that have used one, what is your favorite or most
> successful DVI to HDMI cable? I'm shooting for 1080i (I think, I'm a bit
> baffled by the HD stuff at the moment).

I highly recommend 1080p if your TV will do it.  If your TV is a 720p
TV, though, I think you'll like 720p output better than 1080i.  1080i is
good for video, but not so good for "static" images (like the MythTV
UI).  And, with a 720p TV, even if you set up XRandR to switch to a
1080i output for 1080i recordings, it only means that the TV does the
deinterlacing/scaling instead of Myth doing it.

Go with the TV's native resolution.  Note, also, my TV only accepts
1080p on the VGA input (and can do 1280x1024 on the DVI input.)  It's
still a great picture ("DVI is better because it's digital" is true in
theory, but a myth (with a lower-case "m") in the real world).
> Baring DVI to HDMI, has anyone tried a DVI to Component cable with much
> luck and could recommend one?
DVI can use either analog (DVI-A) or digital (DVI-D).  (DVI-I includes
both connections--whether one side or the other is used or not is often
not specified in the marketing materials.)

Going from DVI-A to component (which is analog) is not too much of a
stretch, although VGA->VGA (if available on your set) is better.  Going
from DVI-D to component takes a converter--not an adapter.  It's not
something you want to do.

Mike