[mythtv-users] more than one capture card

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 6 17:47:50 UTC 2006

On 11/05/2006 03:19 PM, brian boyle wrote:
> but how do you get one device to control two identical receivers
> independently?

Go here: http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/DISHNetworkLIRCConfiguration
and http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/196566#196566
(where Endaf says his codes work with Bell ExpressVu, too).

Configure your LIRC IR blaster with the wiki's /etc/lircd.conf .

Test.  (Set one of your receivers to use code 1 and another to use code
9--or 1, 6, 12; or 1, 5, 10, 14; or whatever--depending on the number of
receivers.  Send "power_off" and "power_on" commands (i.e. "irsend
SEND_ONCE dish1 power_off").  Verify that only one of the receivers
responded.)

Update the text in the wiki (and possibly the "supported devices"
comment in the actual lircd.conf) to say that it also works on your
model of receiver (but don't update the remote names in the
lircd.conf--leave them as "dish1", "dish2", etc.).  Write in the text
something about:

-----

Bell ExpressVu users may copy the same lircd.conf and update the remote
names to "expressvu1", "expressvu2", ... with the following script:

sed -i -e 's/name dish/name expressvu/' \
       -e 's/dish#/expressvu#/' \
       -e s'/called "dish/called "expressvu/' \
       -e 's/dish" and a "dish/expressvu" and a "expressvu/' \
    lircd.conf

Those wanting to update the buttons named "dish_home{,2}" may do so with:

sed -i -e 's/dish_home/expressvu_home/' lircd.conf

-----

If you can, figure out how to make a "Redirected from
BellExpressVuLIRCConfiguration" page on the wiki that goes to the DISH
page.  (Sort of like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpeg2 and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG2 both redirect to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-2 .)  Sorry, I don't know wikis well
enough to tell you how.  I was doing good just to create the DISH page...

Contact the LIRC list to say that the lircd.conf that's given in
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.lirc/4415 works on Bell
ExpressVu receivers (and give your model numbers), also.

Say to yourself, "Thanks, Endaf Jones" (he's the one who decoded the
command set).

(I didn't say anything about ExpressVu in the wiki or the LIRC post
because I don't have any to test and don't know enough about them to
just put it in there.)

I'd say that those steps--even doing the "first-ExpressVu-user"
steps--is a small price to pay for the benefits of the given LIRC
config--such as the power_on command that can prevent your recording
"Blackness and Silence" over and over...

Thanks for helping to make things easier for the next ExpressVu user.  :)

Mike