[mythtv-users] Myth vs. Sage vs. Beyond

Ed Gatzke ed.gatzke.groups at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 20:59:15 UTC 2006

> Myth does PiP, quite well in fact.

Uh, no, no it does not.  I can't get SD and HD aspect ratios correct, HD is
too wide and SD is too squished when in a window.  Plus my frontend crashes
when I PIP two SD images.  And I can't adjust the size or specific location
of the PIP.  Or PIP recorded shows. Or sisde by side PIP with standard
myth.  So no, it does not do it very well.

My HD card looks great in Myth, the SD 500 card is a turd even with the
> driver fixes.  And I don't have lots of slots to use.   Maybe I send back my
> 500 and trade out to two 150s?  I assume they don't have the same crap
> quality of the 500 right now.  But apparently the 500 is a software problem,
> so I can't even really justify a return.  Why did they have to screw us by
> change the hardware?  Idiots.
>

> I wouldn't say "Idiots" just typical American businessmen. I suspect they
> don't really even do the development but contract that out to some outfit in
> Taiwan/China. Outfits like that use whatever tuner modules are the cheapest
> or most easily available, counting on simply changing the Windows drivers to
> make them compatible with the applications that they promise will work.

Blame the Americans!  Dirty dirty americans!  Why do you sell me stuff so
cheap?  To enslave the world HA HA HA </evil laugh>

It may well be the case that the tuner modules used in earlier versions of
> the cards are not even available any longer.

It is probably cost.

Unfortunately the Linux market is not of great interest to them. Their
> (quite possibly wrong) perception is that it is not a large enough market
> segment to matter to them. The IVTV folks do a good job under the
> circumstances, but they have a never-ending thankless task.

The IVTV guys have copies of the tech specs they won't share with others.
They got a marginally decent driver working, but have not tweaked it to get
a good pictures.

Hauppauge might well want to release the specs needed to write a good
> driver, but they probably don't own the rights to allow them to do so, and
> the folks that do won't release the information because obviously you might
> use that information to spend thousands of $$$s to build your own board when
> you could buy one for $99 :-)

I think they use standard components, so any idiot could knock off a copy if
they wanted.  This is not a super secret high-tech GPU with custom
components, I think all the stuff is standard.

So I don't blame Hogpaws, except in the general sense that American
> manufacturers have sold their souls in the pursuit of a lower price, but
> they might well be out of business if they had not done so.

Blame the americans twice!  Dirty americans. dirty dirty.  I fart in your
general direction!

I am still not so sure Hauppauge is US based.  They could be German.  If
anyone knows evil, it would be the deutschers...