[mythtv-users] Using media stored on multiple drives withoutLVM?

stan stanlist at cox.net
Fri Nov 3 22:36:35 UTC 2006

I'm starting to get a sense of at least a requirements definition.

My home computer filesystems have different needs for data access speed,
disaster management (broken disk), and space allocation versatility.

Well, actually, a raid system or striped LVM would be nice to increase
speed, but the cost of that is outside my home IT budget.

So, it comes down to:

/
	tar backed up from time to time
	I should probably do a daily incremental tar to a different machine
/data (my development projects)
	tar backed up from time to time
	I should do a daily incremental tar backup
/mythTVRecordings
	not backed up
	I always catch up with recordings by the weekend
	I'd like to use all remaining space on all drives
/myTVMusic
	permanently backed up via the CD's the music came from

I guess I'd like space allocation versatility in all of the above.  I
understand that the risk of losing a filesystem is magnified by the number
of PV's over which the filesystem spans, but this risk is reduced by tar
backups for recovery. If possible, I plan to keep each filesystem on an LV
contained within one PV so I don't magnify risk. But, I definitely don't
mind magnifying the data loss risk of /mythTVMusic since the risk is reduced
to zero by the CD backup, and the magnified risk of data loss, to me, for
/mythTVRecordings is worth the extra recording space I'll gain in allocating
all the extra space on all the disks (at most three disks here).

That's the plan, but I haven't really used LVM before.  I won't be surprised
to learn that recovery of LV's just isn't worth it all :-)

BTW, I've always done "custom partitioning" when I installed Fedora, and I
somehow got rid of the LVM stuff.  I wasn't able to remove and/or disregard
the LVM in FC6 though.  Did something change?

--stan