[mythtv-users] Comcast HD & firewire

Chris Skalenda chris at atld.org
Thu Nov 2 22:19:04 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 15:07 -0700, Mark Lehrer wrote:
> I have had Myth working reasonably well with High Definition over the
> air, so I am thinking about trying Comcast and their firewire
> interface.
>
> Could someone who is already doing this answer a few questions:
>
> 1) Which hi def receiver do I want?  They said I am going to get a
>    Motorola DCT 6400 - will that do the firewire?

Mine does. It works decently well given that I don't mess with the cable
box much without using MythTV to do it. If I do, and don't return the
cable box to the channel Myth thinks it's on, it acts up.

> 2) How well does MythTV work with the cable content?  For example, I
> heard that the standard definition channels used 12GB per hour - 50%
> more than OTA hi def.

480i takes up 3GB/h. HD seems to be taking up about 7GB/h or so.

> I am definitely going to want to watch the hi
> def Discovery, ESPN, and HBO channels.

Too bad, Comcast encrypts those, or at least they did for DFW before
they traded this market to Time Warner.

Unencrypted channels are the locals and TNT-HD.

--
Chris Skalenda <chris at atld.org>