[mythtv-users] refresh rates and hd

Michael Wisniewski wiz561 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 19:35:10 UTC 2006

Ah, again, thank you very much for the response.

Unfortunately, my TV doesn't support 720p.  Just 480i/p or 1080i.  :-(

Besides going cross-eyed, can there be any damage that is done to the set
when it does this?  That is really my main worry because everything I read
about video out, it says that you should use caution.  I smoked (literally)
a monitor once and would hate to do it again with my TV.

I know this may be a little OT, but how do you know if you're going to ruin
your tv/monitor?  Does the picture look funny?  I always read the warnings,
but they don't say what to look for.

Thanks!

On 11/1/06, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/31/06, Michael Wisniewski <wiz561 at gmail.com> wrote:

> to do
> that
> tv.

> for me.
> don't get
> found the
> > > >

> > http://www.timefordvd.com/tutorial/DigitalTVTutorial.shtml#RefreshRate

> xconfig.  Do
> > these
> > >
> > > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Modeline_Database
> > >
> > > as well, you can also use any of the following which will tell the
> > > nvidia driver to use the HDTV modes built in to the drivers,
> > > "1920x1080_30"
> > > "1920x1080_60"
> > > "1280x720_60"
> > > "720x480_60"
> > Thank you for the response!
> >
> > I am having problems with getting my card working though.  Here's the
> > details...
> >
> > I have a Sony 32XBR450 (1080i/480i/480p) input via component out from
> the
> > dongle on the video card (Nvidia GeForce 7300 card).
> >
> > When I try to configure the xorg.conf file for "hd1080i" and startx,
> > everything looks good.  But then, if I go into some of the myth menus
> (IE:
> > setup menus/appearance), the horizontal lines flash and show up as
> double.
> > Then if I exit, the box pops up with myth regenerating the views.  The
> > vertical lines flicker extremely fast...kind of annoying.
> >
> > Anyways, I have a strange feeling that this might be related to the
> > horizontal / vertical refresh rates, but not totally sure.  I currently
> > don't have any of this set in my xorg file.  I thought I read somewhere
> that
> > the latest nvidia driver (which is what I'm using from the nvidia web
> site)
> > automatically sets the refresh rates.
> >
> > Well, if there's any ideas out there, please let me know!!!!
>
> thats more or less normal with 1080i output over component video for
> computers. I was getting the same interlace flickering using component
> to my 1080i tube HDTV as well. It has to do with the progressive to
> interlace conversion. You may want to run your GUI at 720p and then
> have Myth switch the video output to match the source material, which
> is what I did with mine.
>
> also, everytime you go into the Appearances menu mythfrontend will
> reload the video output stuff like you saw.
>
> --
> Steve
> Before you ask, read the FAQ!
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions