[mythtv-users] video plays too fast on ABC. out of sync.

Inor Kuo inorkuo at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 1 15:17:06 UTC 2006

A little more background info on this problem.  This problem did not occur
when I first started using mythtv.  The version I started on was 0.19 with
fedora core 5.  I can't remember the kernel version but I believe it was
already 2.6.17 at the time.  After upgrading mythtv and the kernel version a
few times, I started to notice this problem on just my master server machine
which also serves as a frontend.  I had a dedicated frontend that was still
able to play back abc hd recordings correctly even though I had applied the
same updates.  In trouble shooting a different problem I ended up upgrading
both machines to FC6 and mythtv version 0.20-143.  Now neither machine can
play back abc recordings correctly.  That made me think that somewhere
between version 0.19 and 0.20-143 something changed in the way mythtv
handled playback of these recordings.

Last night I remembered that I had installed fc 5 and mythtv a while back on
my laptop.  It's still running kernel 2.6.17-1.2187.FC5 and mythtv version
0.20-139.  It's a dell laptop 1.6 centrino with an x300 ati graphics chip.
It has a little trouble playing back hd recordings in general, with frequent
nvp prebuffering pauses, probably because of a lack of processing power
between the cpu and gpu, but it actually plays abc hd recordings in sync.

It seems strange to me that I would be the only one having this problem.  It
doesn't seem hardware specific since the same hardware did fine on previous
versions of the software.  My 2 machines having problems are both asus mb's
with 3800+ and 4200+ dual core amd athlons and built in nvidia 6150 graphics
with 1 gig of ram each.  I would try reverting back to previous versions of
myth but I can't seem to find any repositories that still have 0.20-139.