[mythtv-users] HDTV via firewire/DCT6200 , records fine, live TV times out?

Matt Goebel matt at goebelnet.com
Wed Nov 1 00:44:01 UTC 2006

I was having problems with recording HDTV via a NEC based firewire card
to a DCT-6200 cable box.  It would record one show or allow me to watch
live TV once before the "tuner" would stop working and I'd have to do a
full reboot to get it working again.  I was also seeing a lot of
choppiness given the hardware I have.  Attempting to fix all that I
swapped the NEC based firewire card out for one with the TI chipset.
Now it records without missing anything and the quality is much better
(still not 100% perfect but up there).    The new issue is that live TV
doesn't work with that tuner!   Other tuners have priority for recording
unless the show is in HD (or on a digital cable channel).  I obviously
want to watch everything in HD then available so that card is the first
on the list for live TV.  So when I go into live TV it almost always
attemps to use the firewire tuner, the screen goes black for ~10 secs,
then it drops me back into the main menu.  It doesn't let me switch to
another tuner etc.. either making live TV useless.   I could reorganize
the turner numbers to work around this but that's no fix.  Any ideas on
how I can get this working?