[mythtv-users] Having problems / Need info on BOB Deinterlacing

James Buckley james at logicland.co.uk
Wed May 31 18:55:40 UTC 2006

Hello, I've been building my Myth box for well over 3 moths now; everything
works except for one major problem, TV playback (lol).

I find that TV playback with either no deinterlacing or non BOB
deinterlacing just doesn't have enough frames a second to be watchable. For
example, if you compare news tickers you get on sky news or BBC news, over
normal Freeview / DVB-T, they are much smoother than through MythTV. Unless
I can get the tickers to be as smooth as normal TV (or very close to), I'm
gonna end up scrapping this project, something I really don't want to do.

My setup is as follows, I have a Myth box running latest SVN build,
outputting over DVI (from a Nvidia 6200 chipset) direct to my LCD TV. I
haven't created a custom modeline, as I can get crisp, no overscanning
output, using the resolution 1360x768, progressive. Now, the solution to a
low frame rate is to use BOB deinterlacing, this makes TV smooth, but has
some very horrible side effects.

1. The video jumps up and down, not a little bit, but really noticeably
2. The OSD goes horrible, hard to describe, but you no what I'm talking
about
3. Any Interactive overlays, like "push the red button" are given the same
effect as 2.

Certain scenes on TV go really horrible when using BOB deinterlace, for
example anything with lots of horizontal lines is almost unbearable to
watch, as they jump up and down, also text (as this has horizontal lines
also) is jumpy, on the news tickers it jumps , and cause it's close to the
edge of the ticker, it's really noticeable.

I'm sure it can't just be me who can't put up with these problems, so does
anyone have an idea what causes these, what can be done to minimise them,
and if there are any alternatives to BOB deinterlacing, but still doubling
the frame rate.

One thing I thought may be the cause was that my output was progressive, the
LCD TV is just like a big monitor, (probably with a slower refresh rate),
perhaps trying to setup an Interlace output might resolve the issue (letting
the TV deinterlace the video). I also can use component output to my TV,
this makes BOB look slightly better, but has other drawbacks (overscanning,
colour quality not as good).

So, does anyone know how to solve these issues, or what's causing them.

Thanks in advance, James Buckley

Signup at www.doteasy.com