[mythtv-users] AC3 ALSA and Xine crashing?

Chris Lynch lynchseattle at gmail.com
Wed May 31 05:11:02 UTC 2006

Here's a weird one I just don't know how to get around.

Playing movie files in Xine or Myplayer with AC3 passthrough seems to
completely lock up X through ALSA.

A quick list of the current status:
1 - I can play audio just fine in Myth using ALSA.
2 - I'm using the .asoundrc from Jarod's page and I'm outputting sound via
SPDIF to my receiver.  I'm not playing AC3 from Myth for TV though as I
could never quite get it towork just right for analog and digital/HD
broadcasts.
3 - If I play a movie in Xine it will play fine for a few seconds or minutes
and then the sound starts repeating over and over until X locks up and I
need to do an init 3 to shut down most of the affected processes and then
get things started back up again.
4 - If I play movies in Xine without sound... works great.  I have OSS
turned off.

Very frustrating :(  It didn't happen at all for a long time... is it
possible it's the version of ALSA I'm using?

Thanks,

Chris