[mythtv-users] [Mythtv-users] - Slightly OT - New TV or Plasma in Aust

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed May 31 02:26:18 UTC 2006


On 5/31/06, Chris Henderson <jchendo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Connection wise,
> What is the best to look for?
> MY FX5200 has the DVI output so that will give the best Picture, Right?
> What is the advantage of a HDMI input over a DVI, remembering that the only
> thing that is going to be pluged into this thing is my Mythfrontend with the
> FX5200.

DVI or VGA. Theoretically DVI should be better, but I've heard they're
indistinguishable in practice. I'm using VGA myself. HDMI has no
advantages over DVI, AFAIK.

> Along those same lines, I have a really big problem with DRM, so I guess
> that there is no HD DVDs for me.

I don't think anyone knows exactly what is going to happen in that
department yet. There will be some sort of DRM though, so I wouldn't
count on being able to play them via Linux. At least not until someone
cracks the system a la DeCSS.

> there is the other connections you see on this forum as well Compisit and
> Component (One is the RED, White & Yellow leads. the other is the RED,
> Green, blue or something like that.)
> Are they any use to me, considering I am going to allmost exclusively be
> using this for Myth. Or untill Myth and PC hardware can't do what I need.
> (remember i dont like DRM )

No, DVI (or VGA) are going to be better than component, composite, or s-video.

If you do use DVI or VGA, one thing to keep an eye out for is what
resolutions a plasma (may also apply to an LCD) will accept. I've seen
some plasmas that will only take "standard" type signals such as
640x480, 800x600, 1024x768. Low spec plasma are usually 852x480 pixels
which doesn't fit well with those resolutions.

Steve


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list