[mythtv-users] [Mythtv-users] - Slightly OT - New TV or Plasma in Aust

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue May 30 13:44:49 UTC 2006

Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> says:
> > Just my 2c worth, When I started looking, under general viewing
> > conditions I could not tell the difference between the 42" 852x480
> > and the high def plasma,

> You must not have been looking at the right shows.  It's strikingly
> obvious to me, and my TV is only 1280x720.

You didn't pay attention where Lee lives; he, like the person he was
responding to, is in Australia. He quite likely doesn't *have* the
"right shows" to judge by. We North Americans often don't know how
nice we have things HDTVwise versus the rest of the world.

> Lots of stuff is in HDTV, at least on the networks.

[Snip]

For my perspective on this, read
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/183840?search_string=yeechang%20courting%20alex;#183840>.
Brad if anything understates how far US HDTV has progressed.

> I don't get cable/satellite highdef because you can't record it

. . . Except for those of us with no encrypted channels over FireWire
on their cable boxes. Woohoo!!! (For those who aren't so lucky as to
live in an area where their cable provider is so enlightened, what are
you waiting for? Move!)

> and it's overpriced, but there they have the pay channels, ESPN and
> Discovery channel in HD and more to come.  Not all the movies on the
> pay channels that say they are HD actually are, though.

True; doesn't happen very often, but it does happen. (*Much* more
common, in my experience, is movies on the HD versions of the premium
movie channels that aren't marked as HDTV but are.) I still haven't
figured out the cases for those movies that air on the HD versions of
the premium movie channels but aren't in widescreen; a recent example
is the Pfeiffer/Clooney romantic comedy _One Fine Day_ (1996). And
it's not because the film isn't available in widescreen; the DVD
version is, according to Amazon. Again, this happens rarely, though.

> I like my 52" DLP but I am thinking of trading it for a smaller
> panel, 720 = or 1080 lines.

Westinghouse 37" 1080p panel. Roughly US$1500 +-$100. Again, what are
you waiting for?