[mythtv-users] [Mythtv-users] - Slightly OT - New TV or Plasma in Aust

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue May 30 07:35:37 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 05:25:58PM +1000, Lee McLaren wrote:
> Just my 2c worth, When I started looking, under general viewing
> conditions I could not tell the difference between the 42" 852x480 and
> the high def plasma, I am treating my standard def one as a reasonably
> priced general purpose tv until the price of LCD's drop to a reasonable
> level. Don't forget most content is still standard def.

You must not have been looking at the right shows.  It's strikingly obvious
to me, and my TV is only 1280x720.

Lots of stuff is in HDTV, at least on the networks.  I would say 60% or more
of the prime time schedule is HDTV, plus the late night talk shows, and a
number of sporting events, and a movie or two every week.   The Olympics in
high-def were spectacular.  Even old movies remastered in hi-def bring out
a lot -- I recently watched the Sound of Music.

I don't get cable/satellite highdef because you can't record it and it's
overpriced, but there they have the pay channels, ESPN and Discovery channel
in HD and more to come.   Not all the movies on the pay channels that say they
are HD actually are, though.

1080 line TVs are a bit expensive now but we son't see more than that for some
time to come, so there is some argument for splurging.  But they will get
cheaper with time of course.

DLP is your best bet in a projection for the money but they come with a noisy
fan for the bulb.

Flat panels are cool, but you still will want speakers, components and an
amplifier, or at least your HD video component, and cables, so you may not get
the true wall panel experience unless you do a bit of work.

I like my 52" DLP but I am thinking of trading it for a smaller panel, 720 or
1080 lines.  Takes up too much of the room.

Many of them are also good computer displays, you can do slide shows on them,
or email as you wish.