[mythtv-users] External subtitles in xine

Sasha Z kleptophobiac at gmail.com
Sat May 27 12:18:30 UTC 2006

On 5/26/06, George Nassas <gnassas at mac.com> wrote:
> On 26-May-06, at 8:56 AM, Sasha Z wrote:
>
> >        FILE="$FILE#subtitle:$SUBT"
>
> If the subtitle filename is the same as the video except for extension
> then xine should find it automatically. It does for me. To verify run
> xine with verbose output and at one point it will print what files it's
> using for media, subititles and one other thing I forget. Look for mrl
> and the line below it should be subs or something like that.

What I like about the little script is that I can keep all the
subtitle files in a subfolder of my videos directories in order to
keep things tidy.

> > I'd like to know how to toggle subtitles on and off with the remote
> > control. It seems like that should be a really basic feature, but I
> > don't see it anywhere in the xine keymap. Any ideas?
>
> My xine keymap file (~/.xine/keymap) has these two entries:
>
> # select next sub picture (subtitle) channel
> SpuNext {
>         key = period
>         modifier = none
> }
>
> # select previous sub picture (subtitle) channel
> SpuPrior {
>         key = comma
>         modifier = none
> }

I bound SpuNext on to a button on my remote. When I pushed it, it said
it was going to a different subtitle channel and it incremented a
number in the corner of the screen, but the same subtitles kept
running no matter what number the corner said.

> so you can bind buttons on your remote to xine comma and period to flip
> between subtitle tracks. There's also this:
>
> # select a subtitle file
> SubSelector {
>         key = S
>         modifier = control
> }
>
> but I assume it will pop up a dialog to find the file so it's not so
> useful in myth.

That is correct, it pops up a dialog which is then impossible to get
out of until I quit xine.

Thanks,
--Sasha