[mythtv-users] External subtitles in xine

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Fri May 26 14:16:52 UTC 2006

On 26-May-06, at 8:56 AM, Sasha Z wrote:

>        FILE="$FILE#subtitle:$SUBT"

If the subtitle filename is the same as the video except for extension
then xine should find it automatically. It does for me. To verify run
xine with verbose output and at one point it will print what files it's
using for media, subititles and one other thing I forget. Look for mrl
and the line below it should be subs or something like that.

> I'd like to know how to toggle subtitles on and off with the remote
> control. It seems like that should be a really basic feature, but I
> don't see it anywhere in the xine keymap. Any ideas?

My xine keymap file (~/.xine/keymap) has these two entries:

# select next sub picture (subtitle) channel
SpuNext {
	key = period
	modifier = none
}

# select previous sub picture (subtitle) channel
SpuPrior {
	key = comma
	modifier = none
}

so you can bind buttons on your remote to xine comma and period to flip
between subtitle tracks. There's also this:

# select a subtitle file
SubSelector {
	key = S
	modifier = control
}

but I assume it will pop up a dialog to find the file so it's not so
useful in myth.

- George