[mythtv-users] MythTV output to HDMI IN

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed May 24 00:04:33 UTC 2006

On 5/23/06, moogie <okcancel at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am looking these settings.
> I have not yet made any changes.
>
> In the meantime, I just noticed that just like
> the "bigger" MythTV frontend:
>
> 1.  The Fedora login screen is also "bigger"
> than my TV's physical screen.
>
> 2.  The MythTV (user) desktop is also "bigger"
> than my TV's physical screen.
>
> So (not surprisingly) the MythTV frontend is
> following the same trend.
>
> Looks like all these size problems are related.
> Correct?
> If yes, making changes to GUI, offset, ... in the
> frontend's Setup - will that resolve the
> Fedora login screen and MythTV desktop sizes?
>
> It seems that whatever is causing this problem thinks
> that my screen is larger than it actually is.
> There should be a group of common settings that
> will fix this.  What would that be?

This is an overscan issue, and that is just the way it is.  It may be
possible to tweak with the other X apps (fedora login,  desktop, etc), to
compensate for it, but why bother?  Just adjust the gui X and Y sizes so the
fit is perfect.  You will have to do a bunch of trial and errors, but it is
worth it in the long run.  Start with entering values that are the screen
resolution you set, and subtract those by 100.  If it is still too big then
keep going until it is too small and then you can fine tune it to perfect.

Personally, I do not use the stock window manager that comes with fedora
(either KDE or GNOME).  Instead I use ratpoison, which is very lightweight,
and just a white screen, so I never even see this overscanned desktop.  You
can go for that if you would like.  Also, I have gdm autologin the mythuser,
so I may see that login screen, but not for long.