[mythtv-users] Samba for LiveTV?

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Mon May 22 13:33:34 UTC 2006

> 2. DSMYTH
>
> I don't fully understand how this one works.  I thought I found a
> description on a DsMyth web page once, but I can't find it again.  What's
> the link?  All I could find was a main page with lots of news.  It looks
> like it's mostly concerned with getting Windows Media Player to play the
> files commonly stored on mythTV machines and possibly uses VLC to stream
> the
> files?????  I'd rather not put anything on the Windows client side.  I'd
> like guests to be able to turn on their laptops and watch myth stuff (but
> this might be too harsh a requirement.)

I've never used it but from what I understand DSMyth provides 2 things a
.nuv codec, which you don't need because you're using a hardware encoder,
and the myth:// URI handler.  Which basically just tells windows to open
myth:// URI links with Media player or VLC or whatever you want, similar to
the way that it knows to use Firefox to open http:// links or ftp:// in
whatever ftp program/web browser you want.

--
It was supposed to be so Easy.