[mythtv-users] Samba for LiveTV?

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Mon May 22 01:55:03 UTC 2006

On Sun, 21 May 2006 10:20:41 -0700
stan wrote:

> Andy,
>
> Thanks for continuing this thread.  I haven't given up; I put another twenty
> hours or so into a general "watch mythTV programs over the network with a
> native Windows machine".
>
> I think I have it down to three general approaches, each with current quirks
> and/or unknowns.  There's lots of discussions on this users' group about the
> general topic and users' results vary widely.  I think the differences in
> results are caused by (1) mismatched versions of streaming methods and
> mythTV components and (2) differences in existing Windows Media Player
> plug-ins on the Windows client side. (In testing, I noticed my Windows DVD
> burner program installed a plug-in in Windows Media Player I didn't know
> about.), and (3) the types of recorded program files stored on the mythTV
> machine.
>
> The approaches:
>
> 1. SAMBA
>
> This works perfectly on my Windows machine.  All I had to do was turn on
> samba on the mythTV machine and change one line in the MythWeb configuration
> file to a file:// to force Internet Explorer to open Windows Media Player
> and access the recorded program file over samba.  If others try this note
> that your mileage may vary.  I have a PVR-350 capture card, and all my files
> are mpg's rather than nuv's.  Also, I already have a bunch of extra codec's
> and Media Player plug-ins installed.
>
> Problems with samba:
>
> Windows Media Player won't treat the liveTV recording as a growing file.
> So, it plays only from the beginning of the file to the point where Windows
> Media Player was launched.

Have you tried other players on windows. windos media player is a
festering pile of crap. Try VLC or media player classic.

> 4. HTTP ACCESS
>
> I know. This is approach four of three, but this approach might only be an
> illusion.
>
> Before I modified anything in MythWeb I noticed the default for clicking on
> a recorded program thumbnail was to pass an http:// URL to IE.  This caused
> Windows Media Player to appear to hang as though it was trying to download
> the entire file before playing.  I need to look at this further.
>
> But shouldn't HTTP access work.  I've been to web pages that show samples of
> mpeg movies.  You click on a thumbnail and Windows Media Player launches,
> buffers a little data, and plays the sample movie while it's still
> downloading.  How do they do that?  This might be exactly what's needed.

apache, which is doing the http serving on myth, will not serve files
over a certain size - I think it is 2G. If you have a smaller tv show,
you could try that.

--
Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz>