[mythtv-users] TV output quality via VGA/HDMI

Allan Wilson allanwilson at gmail.com
Mon May 22 01:11:28 UTC 2006

On 5/21/06, Don Bossung <donald at bossung.net> wrote:

>  Hello all,
>

> I have an Intel 845GVE, 2.4Celeron, onboard video (linux uses i810
> driver), Hauppauge pvr 150 mce.
>

> I have setup myth 0.19 on FC4 and all woks well on my 17" monitor. When I
> go to my LCD, quality is not as good as the monitor or the output from my
> cable box.
>

> My TV is a 37" Olevia LCD that has VGA and HDMI input.
>

> When I hook up the computer to the LCD, run X and start mythfrontend the
> output is set to 4:3 but the tv output fills then enter 16:9 screen and
> looks just like 'zoomed' 4:3. I have tried the 'w' key to cycle through
> different output settings but none give me the output I want. Not a very
> good looking quality. When I use the cable box to  watch 4:3 I get a
> grey/black bar on the left and right and the 4:3 picture is of higher
> quality.
>

> My questions are this
>

> Is there something in myth that I can use to change the output of the live
> tv so it scales down to the 4:3 with the grey bars like I see from the cable
> box?
>

> Would using a video card (ie some variant of the 5200) with dvi out to the
> hdmi input on the tv help?
>

> Will the Hauppauge 250 (or some other video capture card) give better
> quality?
>

> BTW, the X output to the lcd is outstanding quality but I do have a small
> black bar on the left and loose some of the image on the right. If you have
> any ideas or forums that might help me fix this, that would be great.
>

> Thanks
>
> Don

I have a 16:9 Sony and when I view 4:3 content I see black vertical bars on
the right and left so I don't think the issue is with Myth itself. If I had
to guess I would think it has something to do with your video card settings
or how you are capturing your data although I think it is the first. You can
use powerstrip to tweak your image to move it over to the left but you have
to have windows to run it. Myth also has the ability to move itself on the
screen but I have never had much luck with it myself. I would definately
recommend using the DVI port for best quality. Good luck and if you need
more help post the output of your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.

Allan