[mythtv-users] onboard GeForce4 MX / PVR-500

Stephen Bory steviebe at gmail.com
Sun May 21 21:23:31 UTC 2006

So I am finally taking the plunge and am turning my old computer into a
mythtv.

I have never set up a linux box before.  I do have a bit of unix experience,
however, I have never actually set anything up before, and have only
experienced it as a user.  Due to that fact, I have decided to try out
Knoppmyth.  Okay, the computer has an Athlon XP 2200+, 512 MB RAM, and an
NForce2 motherboard which has the onboard GeForce4 MX, sound, nic, s-video
out.  I'm guessing that this s-video out will be adequate, but I'm not quite
sure.  So I'm thinking about purchasing the

PVR-150 with the remote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815116625
and a PVR-500 MCE:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815116628

Ok...so I've been searching through the mailing list archives, and keep
coming up with conflicting ideas.  Some people say the PVR-500 is too hard
to set up.  Some say it works fine.  Some say that the onboard video is
great.  Some say they can't get it working.  So...what's the deal.  Is my
onboard video going to be ok?  Is the PVR-500 worth getting?  Any ideas for
me would be really appreciated.  Thanks,

Steve