[mythtv-users] Mythbackend - Ubuntu vs Fedora Core 5

Jason Werpy jwwerpy at gmail.com
Fri May 19 22:05:03 UTC 2006

On 5/19/06, Todd Ferris <tferris at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just wanted to say thanks to Axel, Adam, Josh and Steve for their helpful
> input.
>
> I think I am going to take the plunge and switch to Ubuntu Dapper.
>
> As they say, Change is Good!
>
> Now the question is - should I keep my old database, or just nuke and
> start from scratch?  I kind of like the idea of getting rid of all my old
> mistakes and starting out fresh and clean...  Guess I could just move any
> unwatched shows over to mythvideo...  Hmmm , so many options, so little
> time!
>
> Thanks again
> Todd

If you have enough disk space to install new and old side by side, I'd
highly recommend just copying the db over.  When I went from Fedora to
Ubuntu,  I installed them side by side.  I didn't have enough time to get it
all done in one shot and down time would not have been tolerated by the
kids.  So I'd work on it at night for a bit and reboot to the old version.
Finally I got everything just so and nuked the setup I had created to test
from and moved over the "real" database from the old install and that worked
like a charm.  I did need to reconfigure my cards after moving the database
across, but that was about it for the differences.  Naturally when all was
said and done for the switch the mappings to all my relevant directories for
myth was the same for both old and new distro versions.

And another good thing is that with the space for the old RH distro is going
unused on my box, the next big distro upgrade goes there, and I follow the
same process again.