[mythtv-users] DVB-T scanning, still trying to get it to work.

RoboJ1M jim.neave at googlemail.com
Thu May 18 10:58:28 UTC 2006

On 18/05/06, Stephen Williams <stephen.gw at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/18/06, RoboJ1M <jim.neave at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I'm still struggling with getting my DVB-T card tuned in here in the UK.
> >
> > I'm running the latest 0.19_fixes build and I've tried all the different
> > methods, here are some of my results:
> >
> > AutoScan - Finds nothing
> > Tuned scan - Find a couple of channels, different ones
> > Scan Transports - Finds nothing ("no tables" error)
> > Import channels.conf - Works, but EIT doesn't without some SQL hacking.
> > (This would work fine, but not even dvb-utils' "scan" finds every
> channel.
> >
> > Could this be anything to do with poor signal strength?
> > Strength = 33% and SNR = 33%.
> >
> > However, I'm pretty sure Kaffeine tuned well when I tried that (back
> when I
> > was trying 0.18 binaries)
> > Also, the DVB-T STB I have tunes all channels perfectly using the same
> > aeriel.
> >
> > Can anybody tell me how to get any meaningfull debugging data out of the
> > tuning process that would explain to the list exactly what is not
> working?
> >
> > Because sadly, I'm at the point of chucking it all in and waiting for
> 0.20
> > to see if that works any better. :'(
>
> It probably makes sense to sort out your problems with the dvb-utils
> "scan" before moving onto Myth.
>
> Are the results consistent, i.e. does "scan" always miss the same
> channels? It sounds like you're probably not picking up one of the six
> muxes for some reason. I haven't used scan in a while, is their an
> option to provide you with some verbose output?
>
> Once you've figured out which muxes are missing you could try tuning
> that mux in manually (The BBC website has a page containing the
> frequencies for all muxes on all transmitters). This might let you
> figure out whether it is actually a signal problem (sounds likely
> despite your STB working fine).
>
> Steve

Generally when I scan it either:

1) Finds the mux 489833330, the channels found therin and then stops.
(common)
2) Finds lots of channels (all of them I think)

I had imported a channels.conf into myth and hacked the database until the
EIT EPG worked (ish). But then I noticed I was missing BBC3 and BBC4.

So I backed up the database and wiped the channels and transports list with
the intent on going no further until I had fixed it.

Right, tonight I shall find a UK channel list, perform several 'scan'
scansand see what I see. I shall post my results next, um, Monday or Tueday.

Thanks,

J1M.