[mythtv-users] DVB-T scanning, still trying to get it to work.

Stephen Williams stephen.gw at gmail.com
Thu May 18 10:16:07 UTC 2006

On 5/18/06, RoboJ1M <jim.neave at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm still struggling with getting my DVB-T card tuned in here in the UK.
>
> I'm running the latest 0.19_fixes build and I've tried all the different
> methods, here are some of my results:
>
> AutoScan - Finds nothing
> Tuned scan - Find a couple of channels, different ones
> Scan Transports - Finds nothing ("no tables" error)
> Import channels.conf - Works, but EIT doesn't without some SQL hacking.
> (This would work fine, but not even dvb-utils' "scan" finds every channel.
>
> Could this be anything to do with poor signal strength?
> Strength = 33% and SNR = 33%.
>
> However, I'm pretty sure Kaffeine tuned well when I tried that (back when I
> was trying 0.18 binaries)
> Also, the DVB-T STB I have tunes all channels perfectly using the same
> aeriel.
>
> Can anybody tell me how to get any meaningfull debugging data out of the
> tuning process that would explain to the list exactly what is not working?
>
> Because sadly, I'm at the point of chucking it all in and waiting for 0.20
> to see if that works any better. :'(

It probably makes sense to sort out your problems with the dvb-utils
"scan" before moving onto Myth.

Are the results consistent, i.e. does "scan" always miss the same
channels? It sounds like you're probably not picking up one of the six
muxes for some reason. I haven't used scan in a while, is their an
option to provide you with some verbose output?

Once you've figured out which muxes are missing you could try tuning
that mux in manually (The BBC website has a page containing the
frequencies for all muxes on all transmitters). This might let you
figure out whether it is actually a signal problem (sounds likely
despite your STB working fine).

Steve