[mythtv-users] nuvexport installing mjpegtools

Andy Rabin andy.rabin at gmail.com
Wed May 17 11:47:58 UTC 2006

On 5/17/06, Niels Dybdahl <Niels at dybdahl.dk> wrote:
> On 5/17/06, Andy Rabin <andy.rabin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm a relative Linux newbie, but I've gotten myth fully up and
> > running, and have been happily using it for the past year or so.  So
> > this weekend, when I was able to install ssh (really not a big task to
> > use apt-get, but still big for me) and then get munin and samba
> > working, I was ecstatic.
> >
> > So this evening, I thought I'd take another step and install nuvexport
> > to convert some of the files so I could delete them from the hard
> > drive and burn them to a dvd.  All went well until I tried installing
> > mjpegtools.  Upon issuing "apt-get install mjpegtools" I saw the
> > following:

> > Naturally, I selected no, in deathly fear of destroying my X install.
> > Is there anything I can do to get around this, or is it safe, or
> > shoudl I go on happily living without nuvexport?
>

> Maybe you should write something about which Linux distribution and which
> apt-repository you are using.

Debian, installed as Woody and upgraded to unstable with a self
compiled kernel.  My apt repositories are currently:

ftp.us.debian.org/debian unstable main
ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sid main

> It looks like there has been gone a long time since last time you upgraded
> your system.

If it aint broke, don't fix it unless you feel like having your WAF plummet

> A large upgrade like this usually goes ok, but in some cases it might break
> something and has to be fixed manually.
> I have not yet experienced that X would not start after an installation with
> apt or yum, so I would go for it, but I can not give you a guarantee.
> Maybe you should start a new thread where the subject contains the name of
> your distribution.
> Maybe the upgrade replaces X-server with the x.org, so that your
> X-configuration will be in xorg.conf instead of XF86Config in the future...
>
> Best regards
> Niels Dybdahl

Wasn't looking for a guarantee, just some advice as to how much
trouble I'd be in if I went for it.  Sounds like something to save for
a rainy day, just in case.