[mythtv-users] nuvexport installing mjpegtools

Niels Dybdahl Niels at Dybdahl.dk
Wed May 17 08:49:39 UTC 2006

On 5/17/06, Andy Rabin <andy.rabin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm a relative Linux newbie, but I've gotten myth fully up and
> running, and have been happily using it for the past year or so.  So
> this weekend, when I was able to install ssh (really not a big task to
> use apt-get, but still big for me) and then get munin and samba
> working, I was ecstatic.
>
> So this evening, I thought I'd take another step and install nuvexport
> to convert some of the files so I could delete them from the hard
> drive and burn them to a dvd.  All went well until I tried installing
> mjpegtools.  Upon issuing "apt-get install mjpegtools" I saw the
> following:

> Naturally, I selected no, in deathly fear of destroying my X install.
> Is there anything I can do to get around this, or is it safe, or
> shoudl I go on happily living without nuvexport?

Maybe you should write something about which Linux distribution and which
apt-repository you are using.
It looks like there has been gone a long time since last time you upgraded
your system.
A large upgrade like this usually goes ok, but in some cases it might break
something and has to be fixed manually.
I have not yet experienced that X would not start after an installation with
apt or yum, so I would go for it, but I can not give you a guarantee.
Maybe you should start a new thread where the subject contains the name of
your distribution.
Maybe the upgrade replaces X-server with the x.org, so that your
X-configuration will be in xorg.conf instead of XF86Config in the future...

Best regards
Niels Dybdahl