[mythtv-users] coax vs. composite

John Brooks iresprite at gmail.com
Tue May 16 12:13:05 EDT 2006

On 5/16/06, Cory Papenfuss <papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu> wrote:

> > I can dig that much. How do we figure out the signal quality, then?
> >
>         Simple... it's all crap.  As was pointed out before, to have more
> than crap costs more than anyone but broadcasters can pay.  They're
> *required* to have clean, standards-compliant signals.

... so they put in the minimal amount of effort necessary to comply? Makes
sense, I guess. The average consumer doesn't seem to notice- heck, I guess
it took me long enough.

So what's the point of having recording profiles that record at full D1
resolution, compliant with DVD spec?

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Recording_Parameters

Is that for people who are watching HDTV? Otherwise, it seems like an awful
lot of waste if all we're really getting through conventional cable is
technically 440x480.

Jack.