[mythtv-users] My experience with HD video and the Nvidia

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Mon May 15 15:25:42 EDT 2006

> I am currently using a Radeon 8500 with the X.org 7.0 radeon driver
> and an LCD TV connected via DVI. It works fine except that the
> Athlon64 3700+ CPU is sometimes overloaded playing and deinterlacing
> 1080i. I expect that to change when I switch the CPU to an Athlon 64
> X2 3800+.

I don't know much about the ATI cards (I use an NVidia 6600GT), but I
have been very happy with my x2 3800, much much better than the 3500+
it replaced.  I use Bob deinterlacing and it is flawless.

I would expect your 3700+ to do fine with mythfrontend if you have the
proc opt compiler setting.  It will help to have the 686 kernel
instead of 386.  I know that VLC is less efficient than myth frontend,
so don't use VLC as your benchmark.

Mark