[mythtv-users] OT: HDTV TV's

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 11 13:43:04 EDT 2006

On 05/11/2006 01:32 PM, Mike Frisch wrote:
> On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 01:22:51PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> Then, change the CRT to 1280x960 and do the same.  The image is
>> significantly better looking at 1280x960 even though the pixels are
>> "resolved" (by your definition) at 640x480.
>>
> This is purely subjective and dependent on the display, scaler, etc.

True, thus my saying, "To get an idea of what I mean..."  Regardless,
there's more information in the input signal than can be fully resolved
with a 1:1 pixel mapping...

> BTW, I am mostly discussing digital displays not CRT.  CRTs obviously
> have different characteristics as pixels do not exist in CRT displays.
> The aperature grille/mask ultimately decides what construes a "pixel".

The only reason I recommend a CRT is because it can do different
resolutions at 1:1 pixel mapping at the same (physical) output size.
So, short of having two displays of the same size--one with 640x480 and
the other with 1280x960 native resolution--you can't get a feeling for
the difference with a fixed-pixel display.  I figured few people are
likely to go out and buy two (poor-resolution) fixed-pixel displays for
a test, so...

Mike