[mythtv-users] Avermedia 777 & new Fusion HDTV plus

Ben Rigby benrigby at gmail.com
Thu May 11 00:01:24 EDT 2006

Hi,

I've been a myth user for about a year and recently decided that one
digital tuner card wasn't enough.

I knew I had to be a little careful about choosing a tuner card, so
found a list of supported cards and compared that with the ones on
offer in the pricelist I had. I chose an Avermedia 777 but
unfortunately I didn't read the fine print and the support only exists
in yet to be released 2.6.17 kernel.

Ok, so I decided I can wait for that kernel, and buy another card to
keep me going in the meantime. After all, you can't have too many
tuner cards. So I went with a model I knew had been out for ages, and
was supported. I chose a Fusion HDTV plus. Try to install it and it
seems they've just released an updated model with one of the chips on
it changed. Which breaks the driver and required something to be
changed. Which will be changed in the 2.6.17 kernel.

So, that leaves me with two tuner cards that don't work with my
current 2.6.16 kernel.

What can I do to get these working?

I've done some looking around and I gather I could download and
compile a release candidate of the .17 kernel. But then I'd also need
to download and compile things like alsa, ndiswrapper, nvidia drivers
etc? Is this my only option? I use atrpms and have a rock solid setup
which I'm reluctant to change, and my linux experience is pretty
limited.

If it's my only option and decide to wait it out for atrpms to have
the .17 kernel, can anyone give me a ballpark on how long that might
be? Weeks? Months?

Thanks for the help.

Ben