[mythtv-users] Best Hardware

MythBox mythtv at glassdragon.org
Wed May 10 21:45:03 EDT 2006

MythBox wrote:
> Howdy there all!! I am new to the mailing list and proud to be a MythTV
> user!! :-D
>
> I am wanting to know what would be the best hardware setup for a NEW
> mythtv box. It would be connected to an HDTV via DVI. I would like to
> have it with 5.1 or 7.1 digital sound using a standalone sound system,
> but unsure what to use! (suggestions please)
>
> I would like to know everyones input on this theoretical setup that I do
> not plan to keep theoretical for very long.(2-3 months)
>
> Possible OS: Fedora Core 5
>
> Basic setup:
> 3.4 +/- P4 OR Duel Xeon (64bit)
> SATA HDDs (4-6 drives, all 300G+)
> SATA DVDRW DL
> 2 or 3 TVtunercards (HD if possible)
> Remote Control (standalone or from tv tuner)
> 10/100/1000 Ethernet
> 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound
> nVidia PCIX GPU
>
> Any suggestions on any aspect would be appreciated.
>
> ~Chad
>
> Happy Linuxing!!

First of all, I want to thank everyone for there input on this subject.

Paul:
Personally, I think that you should have a separate MythTV backend and
MythTV frontend, which would mean two MythTV boxes.

    I have not had any experience with a multi-myth setup yet, but have
been thinking about it.

Marco:
Out of curiosity what does one do with upwards of 1 terabyte of storage
for a mythtv box?

    My main purpose of MythTV is to play my DVD backups, like Trey does.
I also have 2 kids
    and they have there friends, plus my wife and I have our friends
that like to bring "Drinks" to share.
    With all those possibilities, DVDs can get trashed pretty quick!

Gary:
...save on both the processors AND the motherboard by getting a dual
core processor
  I have no clue how the DC Chips slipped my mind!! Thanx for that!!

SATA HDDs -
...make sure whatever SATA controller is supported in your preferred
Linux kernel
    Was planing on using the 3ware 9550SX-8LP. From my experience, 3ware
and Kernel 2.6 work great together.

SATA optical - may or may not be a good choice.
    Am not sure if I want to use a SATA DVDRW, just wanted input on
that. IDE is fine by me.

Tuner cards - ...AT LEAST one non-HD tuner
    Thanks for that Tip, one of each type should be fine for a total of
2 cards.

Brian:
You seem to have started with a solution, which is backwards.
    That does not surprise me at all. I am going to examine your
questions in detail and come up with an answer.

Steven:
Don't bother, get a regular ATA and a round ATA cable.
    I think I will take you up on this suggestion and leave the SATA for
the HDDs.

       I will not be TOO shy to spend a decent amount of money on both
the Backend/Frontend system(s), but will have to
draw the line somewhere. My current system is thrown together, but it
works. (except for the remote via Happauge tuner).
It is an Athlon XP 2200 (1.8GHz), 512 DDR, 385Gb (5 HDDs), CDRW & DVD,
Onboard Sound running Fedora Core 5.
I will keep you all up-to-date as my mind makes bad decisions and my
fingers ask you to correct me! :-P

**