[mythtv-users] MythArchive has been added to svn - Please test

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat May 6 10:37:24 EDT 2006

On 05/06/2006 08:11 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 5/6/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> I think he was referring more to the fact that STB-playable DVD creation
>> means that multiple MPEG program streams are assembled into a "suitable
>> DVD filesystem."  During this process, the MPEG's are stuck
>> together/broken apart into VOB file(s) with a maximum size of 1GB each
>> (most will be exactly 1GB).  That may mean that a single VOB file
>> contains more than one Myth recording (and quite likely not a whole
>> number, either).
>>
>> So, to get a specific recording off a STB-playable DVD, you'd have to
>> break it out of its container (for a second time, since the same was
>> true for putting it into the VOB).  So it's not the same file you
>> originally recorded.  Basically, it's been VOBified.  :)
>>
> why would more than one recording need to be in a VOB file?

It doesn't /have to be/, but it can be (i.e. "may mean").  Regardless,
though, as I said, DVD videos can not contain single VOB's that are
greater than 1GB in size.  Therefore, assuming the relatively common
ivtv bitrate usage of 4500/6000kbps, you would only be able to fit
(some) half-hour shows into a single VOB.  So, as Paul said, it's not
the file he recorded (and in many cases, not the
file-after-commercial-removal he recorded).  Therefore, it's important
that MythArchive allow the creation on non-video DVD discs that aren't
constrained by the DVD specification.