[mythtv-users] zap2it and qam

Steven Ihde steve at x2.hamachi.us
Fri May 5 15:23:58 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 03 May 2006 12:55, Steven Ihde wrote:
> BTW, I hadn't thought this had anything to do with timeouts -- I had
> thought most major cable providers in the USA (Comcast in many markets,
> anyway) simply strip out or don't transmit the PSIP data (not sure if
> that's the right term) that Myth is looking for and there was no hope for
> us.  Other than a simple PAT/PMT-based scan like "atscscan" uses.

Looks like I was wrong.  Turns out it was just a matter of increasing the
signal timeout from 500 to 3000ms.  Now it picks up all the QAM channels.  It
even gets some of them named correctly (but not all).

However, getting the Zap2It to work for the analog cable channels now seems
significantly harder.  With 0.19, all I had to do was "Fetch channels" and it
worked beautifully -- all the channel names were correct and had guide data,
no scan was necessary (for analog, not for QAM).

But now "Fetch channels" doesn't do anything without a scan first.  And even
if I do a scan first, the channels still don't show up named correctly, nor
with the guide data.  (They all have names like "Adding channel 2".)  To get
it to work I have to visit each channel individually in the UI and "E"dit
channel.  Then the channel name, callsign, XMLTV ID, etc., show up and when I
hit OK, that channel works (correct name and guide data) from that point on.
It's a very laborious process.

Is there any way to get the old behavior for analog channels?  Am I missing
something here or does the old way seem significantly easier?

Thanks,

Steve